When was the last time you updated the stock photos on your website? If it has been a while, it’s probably time to give them a refresh. Humans are visual creatures, so there’s no question that visitors are looking at your images as they read your content and browse through your site. But if your photos are old, low quality or no longer represent your brand, it can give visitors a poor impression.
Because stock photos are affordable and readily available, there’s no reason to have old photos on your site. Below are some signs that it’s time to replace the stock images on your site and tips for choosing new content.
How to Know When it’s Time for a Refresh
Stock photos benefit your website by breaking up large blocks of content, making things easier to read and supporting the main points of your site. With the right visual content, you can expect visitors to spend more time on your website.
Here are some signs that it’s time to give your stock photos a makeover:
- They look staged. Some photos have a “stocky” feel to them. The people in the images may look corny or cliche, which can turn people off to your brand. These days, people want to see authenticity, even if it’s not perfect.
- Other sites use the same photos. Over time, you’ll notice that the same stock photos appear on many sites. You can’t help this – it’s a part of using stock photos. But you can update your images to newer ones that other sites are less likely to be using.
- They no longer represent your brand. Brands change over time, as do audiences. Take inventory of your stock photos and determine if they still represent your brand. It’s possible they don’t. If your images are a bit off, it’s time to update them with more relevant photos.
Tips for Choosing the Right Stock Images
You can typically download stock photos for free or low cost. Make sure that whichever platform you’re using, you read their licensing rules. You don’t want to get in trouble for using a photo that you do not own.
Once you can confirm that the photos are available to use, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Choose high quality images. Always choose high resolution photos to support a professional image.
- Align your photos with your brand. Select photos that match your brand’s personality. Is it funny and laidback? Serious and professional? Playful and family oriented?
- Try A/B testing your photos. To determine which images your visitors like best, consider split testing them to see what gives you the best results.
Stock photos make sense because they’re fast, easy and cheap. But at any time, you can consider hiring a professional photographer to take photos of your products and services. Even though it’s expensive, these will be YOUR photos. You can use them in any way you want, and no one else will have them. To have images updated on your site, contact WSI Internet Partners today.